Business Operations Manager
Company: Watkins Health Services
Posted on: July 8, 2019
14797BR Business Operations Manager Watkins Health Services
Position Overview The incumbent serves as the Business Operations
Manager for Watkins Health Services (WHS). The incumbent provides
direct supervision to the Business Office and manages assigned
financial functions. The Business Office performs all billing and
charge functions for patients treated in Watkins Memorial Health
Center. This includes services for students, the WHS faculty &
Staff Immediate Care Clinic, and the Counseling & Psychological
Services Dept., a separate department for which WHS performs
financial services. The incumbent also provides services to WHS
Administration on budget and contracting functions.The incumbent in
this position will see, hear and possibly have access to
confidential information that must be handled in accordance with
all relevant state and federal laws and University policies and
procedures regarding its use and disclosure. This position is also
authorized to review, create and process patient information and/or
data in accordance with established procedures in the performance
of job duties. WHS utilizes computer technology in all aspects of
its operations, including an electronic health record system. The
incumbent must become familiar with and be able to use the
appropriate computer hardware and software programs associated with
this position. The incumbent in this position must become familiar
with and adhere to the Watkins Health Services Customer Service
Plan to ensure appropriate interaction and positive outcomes with
both internal and external customers.Watkins Health Services is a
unit in Student Affairs. Job Description 30% - Management
- Plans and directs, through subordinate staff, the internal
Business Office operations.
- Oversees the financial records maintenance, data entry,
billing, and insurance claim processing.
- Serves as the primary resource on WHS financial information for
university partners, including the Shared Service Center and the
- Determines appropriate staff permissions within the billing
- Conducts cost/benefit analyses for proposed programs.
- Interviews, participates in the hiring and any disciplinary
actions, trains and supervises all Business Office staff.
Determines job expectations; evaluates staff performance; and
assesses staffing needs of the office.
- Develops short and long range strategic plans for the
- Maintains Business Office Policy & Procedures manual, along
with forms, records, & controls to enforce compliance with an
automated financial records system.
- Provides oversight for all Business Office staff tasks,
including: 1. Cashiering tasks. 2. Reconciliation of receipts and
deposits. 3. Inter-department Transfers (IDT). 4. Coding
assignments. 5. Posting of Explanation Of Benefit Statements and
payments. 6. Patient account management including accounts
receivable aging. 7. Generating insurance claims and patient
statements. 8. Generating regular revenue cycle management reports.
9. Confirming eligibility, including insurance coverage. 30% -
- Prepares an updated fee-for-service schedules based upon
pricing model approved by WHS Administration.
- Researches local market pricing trends using approved external
- Works closely with WHS departments to ensure all factors are
considered in pricing for services.
- Runs loss/gain reports to estimate impact of proposed changes
to fee schedules.
- Ensures the Fee Schedule is accurately updated in the billing
system and all WHS staff are informed of the new pricing.
- Assists Administration with review and negotiations of health
insurance contracts initially and upon renewal and is the prime
contact for insurance companies.
- Serves as the KU student health insurance representative to the
Kansas Board of Regents Student Health Insurance Advisory
- Advises WHS Administration on proper and innovative revenue
- Prepares cost accounting models by program as determined by
- Works with WHS Administration to project financial status and
assists in preparation of the WHS budget 25% - Patient Billing and
- Ensures the Billing system is providing accurate, compliant and
timely submission of insurance claims.
- Manages the coding and billing compliance program, ensuring it
is up to date
- Oversees "Clinical Dictionaries" & codes within Point N Click
to facilitate processing of patient data and generation of
financial analysis reports.
- Analyses monthly receivables, maintaining a high collection
rate of 90+%.
- Initiates and manages collection efforts.
- Authorizes the lifting of administrative financial Holds with
the university. 10% - Account Management
- Works with the staff to research discrepancies in account
ledgers (i.e. debits, credits, refund transactions) on patient,
insurance company, departmental, and other entity billings and
- Serves as liaison between WHS & public sources, etc., on
insurance, billings, collections, & other financial matters
pertaining to WHS patients & provides technical guidance on medical
billing issues. 5% - Miscellaneous
- Performs all other jobs as assigned by supervisor or
- Serves on WHS committees as requested by supervisor.
- Knows and understands the Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Respects patient privacy and maintains confidentiality
disclosing protected health information only as it relates to
Payment, Treatment and Healthcare Operations.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully work with a diverse
community and provide services from a non-judgmental perspective.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and three years of related
experience; or Associates Degree and five years of related
experience; or High School diploma and six years of related
- Two years of management, supervisory experience and/or project
- Experience in a medical business office using computerized
accounting and financial analysis methods.
- Experience that required knowledge of the medical terminology,
technology, and procedures typically utilized and performed in
- Current CPR certification or within six months of hire.
- Five years of experience in medical office accounting/auditing
Keywords: Watkins Health Services, Lawrence , Business Operations Manager, Executive , Lawrence, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!